TASTEEBROS ON BUILDIN DA DUBBA C
- Use air not chops.
- Higher IS Better.
- More compression = faster air.
- Faster air = higher. More air = louder.
- Practice often, not long.
- Long-tones do more harm than good.
- Faster air = less pressure needed.
- Keep corners tight. Keep everything else relaxed.
- Faster IS better.
- If you aren't going to play with intensity, don't play.
- If you think it's hard, it will be.
- Whatever you practice, just try to relax and play some music.
- Have fun. Practice something new everyday.
- Play on the smallest mouthpiece you can find. It is a lot easier to
play da dubba c on a
small mouthpiece and it's easier to play a singa c than a dubba c.
- Don't close your throat and pinch. You will pass out and people will
point and laugh at you.
- Aspire to be one of the Tasteebros.
- Make it as easy as possible. There are no "cheater" mouthpieces.
- When in doubt, rest.
- Your chops are not unlike other muscles in your body. Too much playing is bad
and rest is always needed after over-exertion.
- It's not what you practice, it's how you practice.
- Maynard didn't use heavy valve caps or heavy mouthpieces.
- If you think you can play higher on a shallower mouthpiece, you are
- If you practice a lot and don't get any better, QUIT!
- If you major in music and don't want to teach, make sure you don't suck.
- If you fold, chances are no one will know unless you look like you
- Never warm up on stage. There is nothing more uncool.
- Sit-ups work the muscles you need to play with compression. They make
- The Tasteebros play one the smallest mouthpieces made (Marcinkiewicz Shew 1 and Schilke 6a4a)
and we care. We play higher than you.
- If you ARE good enough to get a respectable gig, there are 20 people
better than you up for the gig.
- Chicks dig trumpet players. Its a fact !
- If you think you are cool because you can play high on a big
mouthpiece, who cares? Either you are working WAY too hard, have a
crappy sound, or you are readjusting your chops. Smaller = easier. You
don't wash your car with a toothbrush, plant a tree using a spoon, or
travel across country on a skateboard. You aren't impressing us, you are stupid.
- If you fold on a solo in front of a bunch of people, fake a seizure.
- Don't cry because we can and you can't. Some things weren't meant to
be. The sooner you get over this, the sooner you will enjoy what we are
doing for the entire music world.
- We are convinced that the general public appreciates the sound of a
lead trumpet player and not the range. Very few people know the 'range'
of a trumpet. But, if you play with balls, people will dig you. Trust
us, we have done studies. People tune into the intensity.
- If you aren't good by other's standards, you won't get gigs. Having
an ego means you probably won't be playing much. No one cares what you
think about the way that you play.